Real Madrid Graduate School Universidad Europea’s Master in Sports Law, LLM is aimed at law graduates from all around the world who want to develop their professional careers in the field of international sports law.
The program offers students a solid knowledge of the organisation of sports, their rules and regulations and their dispute resolution mechanisms.
The program allows students to acquire the necessary knowledge to work in international federations, law firms, sports clubs, professional leagues, anti-doping organizations and sports representation agencies.
The Master in Sports Law LLM, developed by a committee of experts, is structured in such a way as to allow the student to gradually immerse themselves in the sports law world, starting with a general overview of international sports institutions and their rules and regulations before moving towards more detailed study of specific issues surrounding sports law.
All our professors and lecturers are involved in international sports law activities, something that allows our students to get a true vision of professional practice as international lawyers, sports arbitrators, football club managers and leaders. Using the experience of our lecturers, the academic methodology focuses on a practical approach, with candidates studying leading cases on sports law, taking part in moot courts, and getting involved in forums and discussions with fellow students and professors, creating strong professional links.
In addition, the master degree offers the chance to visit public and private institutions, both national and international, such as the Spanish Professional Football League, FIFA, UEFA, IBU, FEI and the Court of Arbitration for Sports.
Students benefit from the wide network of agreements with international law firms, institutions and international federations to carry out their internships, including Real Madrid C.F which offers a limited number of places for students within Real Madrid’s Legal Department.
- A specific academic program designed by an expert committee for the best academic achievement.
- A modern study methodology with a practical emphasis that promotes professional relationships between students and lecturers
- All the lecturers and professors are involved in International sports law activities.
- Visits to sports institutions such as FIFA, UEFA, Court of Arbitration for Sports.
- A chance to complete internships in the legal department at Real Madrid C.F (the club offers a limited number of placements) or in international law firms, institutions and international federations, such as Ruiz Huerta y Crespo, Laffer, Sportia Law, and the International Triathlon Union.
The International Master in Sports Law, LLM, is an excellent opportunity for graduates with a background in law, seeking a solid specialization in a postgraduate degree with a high potential of employability, and for lawyers wishing to expand their professional horizons.
A good command of English and a degree in law are required. Candidates will have to pass an interview intended to assess their profile and acceptance in the program.
Visit Santiago Bernabéu Stadium and Real Madrid City (Valdebebas). Students may also participate in a trip to Switzerland. The trip will include visits to the headquarters of important sports institutions such as:
- FEDERATION EQUESTRE INTERNATIONAL
- INTERNATIONAL TRIATHLON UNION
- THE COURT OF ARBITRATION FOR SPORT.
The academic methodology throughout the master has a strong focus on learning by doing and looking at practical case studies. Lecturers are real professionals and experts in international sports litigation. Students will look at leading cases on sports law, experience moot court proceedings and take part in forums and discussions with lecturers and classmates.
The academic program and the academic methodology have been designed by an expert committee composed of experienced lecturers and professionals for the best academic achievement.
Among many other activities, the master offers students an eminently practical vision of the procedures that are processed before the FIFA Dispute Resolution Chamber and before the Court of Arbitration for Sport. Students will have the opportunity to learn step by step and through practice how to carry out a procedure before FIFA Dispute Resolution Chamber and the subsequent appeal before the Court of Arbitration for Sport. Assisted and advised by international lawyers, they will experience such proceedings and have the chance to defend their cases before a panel composed by real arbitrators in a courtroom. The students will play different roles - as parties, witnesses, and lawyers.
- MODULE 1.- ORGANIZATION OF SPORT INSTITUTIONS
- MODULE 2.-LEX SPORTIVA. SOURCES OF SPORTS LAW. WHO AND HOW DRAFT GOVERNING SPORTS LAW
- MODULE 3.- DISPUTE RESOLUTION WITHIN SPORTS
- MODULE 4.- ORGANIZATION OF SPORTS EVENTS AND GOOD GOVERNANCE
- MODULE 5.- INTERNATIONAL ANTI-DOPING
- MODULE 6.- INTERNATIONAL TAXATION ON ATHLETES
- MODULE 7.- SWISS LAW AND FOOTBALL SPORT LAW
- MODULE 8.- PROCEEDINGS BEFORE THE COURT OF ARBITRATION FOR SPORTs
- MODULE 9.- INTERNSHIP
- MODULE 10.- MASTERS THESIS
The admissions process for Real Madrid Graduate School - Universidad Europea programs runs throughout the whole year, although enrollment in all graduate programs depends on the availability of places.
About the School
In 2006 Real Madrid C.F.and Universidad Europea de Madrid created the first University School specialized in sports and its relationship with management, health, communications and leisure/recreation.